Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Grimm Legacy by Janna Jennings

I doubt this is a spoiler since I guess this was happening from the title (the characters, on the other hand, did not), but if you don't want to know, skip this paragraph. But anyway, if you've heard of the web-cartoon series Ever After High, then odds are you won't be unfamiliar with the idea of fairy-tale characters having children.

A Grimm Legacy follows Andi, Quinn, Frederick and Dylan as they're pulled into a land called Elorium. They all come from different places and different families, but they soon discover that they have something in common. Realising that Elorium is a land filled with fairy-tales, they have to survive using their wits and Andi's grandmother's items (a fairy tale book, a cloak, a pair of slippers).

Personally, I loved this book! The book goes through quite a few fairytales, and it was interesting to see what happened after each story ended. For example, in the tale of Jorinda and Joringel, the witch catches Jorinda many many times. But Jorinda refuses to live in fear of the witch, and takes it as a part of her life.

Another thing that I loved was the character of Quinn. Quinn is Indian, so she brought with her a really rich heritage. She's also a proper main character, not the token person of colour. She gets her own fairytale and her own romance. The only thing that would make it better if there were a few more characters like Quinn.

Oh, but when I say 'main character', I mean 'in the party of four that was pulled into Elorium'. If I had to pick only one main character, I would say it was Andi. Because she was the one who brought items in, she's the one that gets them out. So there's a good part of the story that focuses on her and her fairytale. But I would say that Dylan, Quinn and Frederick get enough space of their own.

If you're looking for a modern day fairytale involving descendants of the original characters, look no further!

And if you haven't watched Ever After High, you totally should.


Disclaimer: I got this book free from the publishers in exchange for a free and honest review.

Note: I read this book for the fairytales retold reading challenge.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^