Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Huntress Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff

What can I say about this book? It was addictive and I loved it! (And no, I'm not saying this just because I got a free copy).

If you remember, I took part in the Merely Mystery reading challenge last year, which shows that I really do like mysteries. Well, this isn't really a mystery (we know who the killer is from the start), but it's a fantastic police (ok FBI) procedural.

Huntress Moon follows FBI Agent Roarke as he tries to find the woman who killed one of this undercover operatives - by just speaking to him. As he chases her down, he realises that she may not be the evil one.

The story was told from both Agent Roarke and the mysterious female killer's point of view (later, we find out her name is Carla). Since both sides are represented, the book could have gotten boring from all the information, but it managed to overcome that hurdle. In fact, adding in Carla was a stroke of genius. She's never actually mentioned by her name, in her chapters, she's just "she". It kind of captures how unknowable she is.

Can I mention how awesome I think Carla is? I mean, I know she's the serial killer, but her motives for killing are quite admirable. This means that I'm having a problem reconciling vigilantism to the idea that "murder is wrong". I mean, if someone kills a bunch of human traffickers to save a group of women and children from forced prostitution, well, it's quite hard to say "she shouldn't have done that".

And that is why Agent Roarke is so conflicted about Carla. He "knows" her best (well, he saw her and they have some connection), and as he finds out more, he starts to think of her not as a killer but a wounded person that has become a vigilante.

I thought that the introduction of FBI profiling in the book was a very clever idea. It helped make Carla that much more special without the need for the book to come and say outright "she's not a normal killer."

This was a great book! I'll be posting my review of the sequel - Blood Moon tomorrow~

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review from the author.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^